Wednesday 21 March 2012

Underground Manchester

In the briefing lecture on 'Unit X' and the David Haslam talk, the history of Manchester in regards to the Industrial Revolution and its effect of society seemed to be a predominant theme. This is what led me to researching further, the city of Manchester's history and past as I thought it may be an interesting possible starting point for someone’s project, if not mine. Even if it wasn't going to be furthered in the upcoming weeks of my project, I thought it would be an interesting topic to explore as I do not have much of knowledge of the place I currently inhabit which may be viewed to some as ignorant. It seems quite disrespectful to turn a 'blind eye' to my home environments past so I guess, why do it here? 

Anyway, I came across information that immediately took my attention-Underground Manchester. I’m not sure if it's well known to others in Group Six but I found it to be quite appealing! After years of research, Keith Warrender has uncovered evidence of dozens of places alive under the city we see today. All of which range from the last two centuries. The official documentation was filmed by the BBC in a show called, 'Inside Out' but the video will not work on my laptop for some reason. I found a video made by 'I Love MCR' which might interest someone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment