Wednesday 21 March 2012

The Starn Twins

Mike and Doug Starn are identical twins that work collaboratively in photography, however they do not just use photography in their work but also sculpture, painting, video and installation.

 

Their most recent work;

Big Bambú

In September 2008, the Starn twins took over there Beacon studio with the construction of the ‘Big Bambú,’ this piece consists of archetecture, performance, film and photography. The artwork starts as a massive tower created from lashed together bamboo poles and brings into space representations of complexity and chaos, but then evolves through the continuous rebuilding and rethinking of the structure at all times. To me this piece represents that business of a city, the chaos of people intertwined with the rows and rows of buildings, all shapes, all sizes, that we as humans get swallowed up in.

 

“Big Bambú is connotative of an autonomous, spontaneous, self-governing, disorganised network responding to itself to better navigate the environment. “It represents me - in that I am who I was, and, I am completely different than I was when I was a little boy.” Doug Starn writes.”

 

This link shows the photographs, videos and installation of the project; http://www.starnstudio.com/


This piece has evolved since 2008 and created in several other areas, such as Venice and on the roof of the Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York).

 

Looking back at their later works I came across a very interesting series of photographs named ‘Attracted to light.’ My first attraction came from the look of the photographs, as they hold a very old atmospheric quality to them, quite worn and weathered and using predominately black and grey tones which help achieve this effect. It is also very fascinating the way they compile their photographs together, in a patchwork of rectangles and squares, these shapes are not perfectly cut either, the edges are torn or have curled up giving the impression that they have been handled for years.

 

I am interested in the old photography of Manchester and the pictures I take of the city I hope to manipulate in a way that will achieve such effects.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment